As mothers of triplets, we’re all too familiar with the struggles that can arise during and after pregnancy, like premature birth. Whether you’re faced with an unexpected stay in the NICU or simply looking to feed your little ones more efficiently, the right bottle can make a huge difference. If you’re desperately searching for the best bottles for premature babies, look no farther.
Best Bottles for Premature Babies
Triplets and Premature Birth
Although it’s a scary thought for any mother, mothers of triplets need to be aware of the potential for premature birth. Delivery anytime before the 37th week of pregnancy is considered preterm.
The chance of preterm birth increases for every baby that a woman carries, which puts mamas of triplets at particular risk. In fact, the chance of preterm labor with triplets is 90 percent.
Does it Matter Which Bottles I Use?
Premature babies need a bit more care than babies who make it to full term. Just like they need a little more nurturing, they need bottles that are specifically designed to assist them with eating. They often have trouble sucking and swallowing at those early stages, which is why there are bottles out there catered toward preemies to help them get the nourishment they need.
Will I be Able to Breastfeed My Premature Babies?
There is a possibility to still breastfeed your triplets if they’re born prematurely, but it’s likely that it will be very difficult. However, breast milk is the best option because the milk you create during that time is actually composed of special fats specifically designed to help your little ones grow strong and healthy. Check out our article on Feeding Triplets.
The best method, and the one that will likely be used, is feeding expressed milk through a proper bottle. This is simply another reason to take the time to find the best bottles for premature babies.
Tips for Feeding Premature Babies
- Always use freshly expressed breast milk, or fresh formula, when feeding your babies to limit any exposure to bacteria.
- Remember to follow all cleaning and sterilizing guidelines for bottles since your preemies’ immune systems won’t be fully developed. Also be sure to wash your hands before each feeding.
- Don’t feel ashamed or guilty if formula is needed to give your little ones complete nourishment. All that matters is that your little ones are fed.
- Choose bottles with a straight design, soft nipples, and a slow flow. Your little ones will need to figure out this whole eating thing, and the right bottle will help greatly.
Top Five Bottles for Premature Babies
1. Dr.Brown’s Natural Flow Preemie Baby Bottle
Dr. Brown’s bottles are some of the most popular on the market, and parents everywhere love their preemie option. These preemie bottles include a system that preserves the nutrients in milk, prevents against colic and gas, and encourages easy digestion.
- Fully vented design
- 2 piece internal vent system
- System to preserve nutrients
- Silicone nipple
- Preemie/slow flow nipple
- BPA, lead, PVC free
- 2 oz bottles
- Reduces issues related to digestion
- Mimics the breast/ controlled flow
- Free of harmful toxins
- Fits onto most pumps
- Traditional narrow shape
- Tubing can be difficult to clean
Moms rave about how wonderful these bottles worked for their little ones once they were released from the NICU. It’s one of the best baby bottles for gas and colic, and it might be the perfect fit for you.
- Preemie-flow nipple limits the amount of milk and formula for a comfortable feeding pace
- Positive-pressure design eliminates air bubbles and vacuum
- Patented internal vent system helps lower instances of colic, spit-up, burping and gas
2. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Feed
Tommee Tippee bottles are another option loved by many, and they’re also among some of the best breastfeeding bottles out there. Their first feed bottle was designed specifically for feeding premature babies, so it may be the perfect option for your triplets.
- Extra slow flow nipple
- Breastmilk pot included
- This can be directly connected to your pump for fresh feedings.
- BPA free
- Large shaped nipple to mimic breast
- Easy vent valve
- Curved bottle design
- 5 oz bottles
- Breastmilk pot can be removed from bottle
- Less likely to ever be nipple confusion
- Designed to reduce gas/colic
- Nipples are easy to clean
- Microwave and dishwasher safe
- Nipples are slightly tough
- Curve of the bottle may sometimes cause difficulty in cleaning
- Easy to clean and fill. Our bottles are microwave and dishwasher safe, yet light and easy to hold
- The First Feed bottle has been developed especially for use with premature babies or for those first newborn bottle feeds with expressed milk to encourage the transition to bottle feeding
- The extra slow Flow nipple allows the milk to Flow at a slower rate than a standard nipple which is ideal for babies who in the process of transitioning to bottle feeding or find standard nipples Flow rates too fast
- The First Feed bottle comes complete with a Closer to Nature Breast Milk Storage pot which allows mom to express milk directly into the pot from the pump and to feed straight from a bottle
- For total reassurance, all of our products are free from Bisphenol A (BPA)
3.Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottle
If you spend some time researching the best bottles for premature babies, you’ll likely see this one pop up more than once. This particular bottle also claims to help reduce nipple confusion by providing a natural latch and flow.
- 4 oz bottles
- wide neck opening
- Wide shaped nipple
- Anti colic system in nipple
- Slow flow nipple
- Comfort petals to prevent nipple collapse
- Twin valve anti-colic system
- Available in larger size for when baby begins to eat more
- Natural feel to mimic the breast
- Reduces colic and gas
- Easy to clean shape
- Directly attach to various pumps
- Nipples can be confusing
- Flow 1 nipple is actually the second. The stage 0 would be ideal for your little ones.
Although you will need to make sure that it is compatible with your pump, this bottle may be one of the best baby bottles to use while breastfeeding. Having the option to directly attach it to your pump will allow you to quickly give your little ones freshly expressed milk.
- The most natural way to bottle feed. Natural nipple shape makes it easy for baby to combine with breastfeeding
- Soft, wide-shaped nipple promotes natural latch on
- Advanced anti-colic system is directly integrated into the nipple with no extra hard-to-clean parts
- Wide neck opening makes it easy to fill and clean
- A range of flow rates are available for your growing baby. This bottle includes a 0Month+ Newborn flow nipple
4.Baby King Preemie 2 oz Bottle
These preemie baby bottles are not a mainstream brand, but they certainly don’t lack in quality. Designed specifically with preemie babies in mind, these adorable bottles are perfect to give your little ones the right amount of nourishment needed to grow strong and healthy.
- 2 oz bottles
- Patterned for girl or boy
- BPA free
- Small design
- Includes internal straw to help with milk flow
- Latch inspired nipples
- Made just for premature babies
- Reduced air flow
- Not a well-known brand
If you find that your babies aren’t taking to the other options on this list, these bottles would be a great alternative. They’re also easy to pack in anything due to their perfect size.
5.Playtex Baby Nurser with Drop-in Liners
These bottles are another incredible option for your babies. Preemies are particularly susceptible to infection and bacteria, and the liners of these bottles greatly reduce their exposure to both.
- Pre-sterilized disposable liners
- Liner collapses during feeding
- Wipe shape nipple
- Textured nipple to encourage natural latch
- BPA free
- Anti-colic liner
- Slow flow nipple
- Meant to eliminate any nipple confusion
- Decreases time spent washing bottles
- Liners make feeding simple
- Hourglass bottle is easy to hold
- Baby takes in less air from liners, which leads to less gas and colic
- Designed to mimic natural breastfeeding
- Liners have to be purchased separately after initial 5
It’s rare to see a negative comment about these bottles. Plenty of mothers, including those of premature babies, enjoy using these bottles. They’re easily considered one of the best bottles for premature babies.
- Closer to natural breastfeeding - Designed to be most like mom, The Naturalatch silicone nipple encourages proper latching, promotes healthy feeding and allows you to easily switch between breast and bottle.
- Anti-colic feeding - Soft, disposable liner contracts while baby feeds to mimic breastfeeding. This prevents air from mixing with Milk and allows air-free FEEDING, reducing colic, gas and fussiness.
- Fast bottle warming - Drop-Ins Liners are thin for quick and easy warming.
- Designed for on the go moms - Nurser bottles are conveniently designed with Pre-Sterilized disposable Liners to make bottle time easy for home or on the go.
You don’t have to look far to find the best bottles for premature babies. There’s already quite an incredible selection. Your time should be spent giving your preemie triplets extra care, love, and kisses, not stressing over finding a proper bottle. Thankfully, you now have 5 incredible options to choose from, so you can get back to loving on your beautiful triplets.