As mothers of triplets, we’re all too familiar with the struggles that can arise during and after pregnancy, like premature birth. Whether you’re faced with an unexpected stay in the NICU or simply looking to feed your little ones more efficiently, the right bottle can make a huge difference. If you’re desperately searching for the best bottles for premature babies, look no farther.
Best Bottles for Premature Babies
Brand & Product Name
Triplets and Premature Birth
Although it’s a scary thought for any mother, mothers of triplets need to be aware of the potential for premature birth. Delivery anytime before the 37th week of pregnancy is considered preterm.
The chance of preterm birth increases for every baby that a woman carries, which puts mamas of triplets at particular risk. In fact, the chance of preterm labor with triplets is 90 percent.
Does it Matter Which Bottles I Use?
Premature babies need a bit more care than babies who make it to full term. Just like they need a little more nurturing, they need bottles that are specifically designed to assist them with eating. They often have trouble sucking and swallowing at those early stages, which is why there are bottles out there catered toward preemies to help them get the nourishment they need.
Will I be Able to Breastfeed My Premature Babies?
There is a possibility to still breastfeed your triplets if they’re born prematurely, but it’s likely that it will be very difficult. However, breast milk is the best option because the milk you create during that time is actually composed of special fats specifically designed to help your little ones grow strong and healthy. Check out our article on Feeding Triplets.
The best method, and the one that will likely be used, is feeding expressed milk through a proper bottle. This is simply another reason to take the time to find the best bottles for premature babies.
Tips for Feeding Premature Babies
- Always use freshly expressed breast milk, or fresh formula, when feeding your babies to limit any exposure to bacteria.
- Remember to follow all cleaning and sterilizing guidelines for bottles since your preemies’ immune systems won’t be fully developed. Also be sure to wash your hands before each feeding.
- Don’t feel ashamed or guilty if formula is needed to give your little ones complete nourishment. All that matters is that your little ones are fed.
- Choose bottles with a straight design, soft nipples, and a slow flow. Your little ones will need to figure out this whole eating thing, and the right bottle will help greatly.
- If you need a bit more insight on the subject, take a look here. This article will give you helpful tips, and let you know how much your little ones should be eating.
Top Five Bottles for Premature Babies
1. Dr.Brown's Natural Flow Preemie Baby Bottle
Dr. Brown’s bottles are some of the most popular on the market, and parents everywhere love their preemie option. These preemie bottles include a system that preserves the nutrients in milk, prevents against colic and gas, and encourages easy digestion.
2. Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature First Feed
Tommee Tippee bottles are another option loved by many, and they’re also among some of the best breastfeeding bottles out there. Their first feed bottle was designed specifically for feeding premature babies, so it may be the perfect option for your triplets.
3. Philips Avent BPA Free Natural Polypropylene Bottle
If you spend some time researching the best bottles for premature babies, you’ll likely see this one pop up more than once. This particular bottle also claims to help reduce nipple confusion by providing a natural latch and flow.
4. Baby King Preemie 2 oz Bottle
These preemie baby bottles are not a mainstream brand, but they certainly don’t lack in quality. Designed specifically with preemie babies in mind, these adorable bottles are perfect to give your little ones the right amount of nourishment needed to grow strong and healthy.
You don’t have to look far to find the best bottles for premature babies. There’s already quite an incredible selection. Your time should be spent giving your preemie triplets extra care, love, and kisses, not stressing over finding a proper bottle. Thankfully, you now have 5 incredible options to choose from, so you can get back to loving on your beautiful triplets.