Parenting is full of never-ending questions, but you’ll know one unquestionable thing: your children deserve the absolute best. A great way to start this is by giving your babies the best nourishment possible for those little minds and bodies.
The Best Organic Baby Formula for Newborn
There’s no doubt that breastfeeding is the best option for your little ones. However, breastfeeding may not always be a possible solution when you have three babies to feed.
Nursing is hard enough, but with potential issues like limited milk supply, you’re going to need to ensure your babies are still getting the nutrition they need.
It’s very likely that formula may have to be their sole source of nutrition, and that’s why it’s so important to find one that you can trust.
3 of The Best Organic Formulas Perfect for Any Situation
Not everyone’s situation is the same when it comes to formula feeding, and that’s why it’s important to know that you can find a formula right for yours.
Whether you’re supplementing, feeding newborns, or simply looking to switch to organic, there are options for you.
Your main priority should be to feed your children, and the method of how you do so isn’t something we should judge one another for. (In fact, we could all learn a little something from this video.)
Now that all we know formula feeding isn’t evil, we can take a look at some actual problems with existing formulas.
This following [somewhat scary] video explains why non-organic infant formulas should make their way out of your cabinets.
You probably never knew the potential dangers that exist simply from feeding your babies those well-marketed formulas.
After seeing that video, you’re probably ready to find the best organic formula for your babies. So let’s get right into it!
For more information on dairy sensitivity, take a quick moment to hear more from nurse Dani.
1. Baby’s Only Organic DHA & ARA Sensitive Toddler Formula
– Best Rated Organic baby Formula
This brand is easily the best rated organic baby formula, and it’s loved by many!
What sets this one apart from the others is that it’s actually intended for toddlers (12+ months.) Safe nutrition shouldn’t stop with infancy.
Another great aspect is its affordability. The containers do come in 12 ounces, which is less than others. However, it’s certified organic, non-gmo, and gluten free. It’s also Intended for babies with lactose sensitivities.
- For toddlers of 1 year of age or older
- Certified organic
- Gluten and Hexane free
- Made with organic-compliant technology, which eliminates toxins
Oddly enough, it seems that the reason parents love this product so much is because it doesn’t do anything. By that I mean their children consume the formula with no negative, or miraculous affects. The formula simply does as promised. It provides a truly organic option for your toddlers.
- Much better scent than most formulas
- Fewest “questionable” ingredients
- No corn ingredients
- Certified organic
- Non-GMO ingredients
- Only available in 12 oz containers
- Only available online
- Meant for older children (only a con if you’re searching for babies)
- QUALITY ORGANIC NUTRITION: Our Sensitive with Organic DHA and ARA Toddler Formula* is the first organic milk-based formula intended for children with a sensitivity to lactose or those who have experienced a gastrointestinal illness
- NATURAL SOURCES: Our DHA and ARA is hexane free, unlike the DHA and ARA derived from algae or fungus sources
- FEATURES: Nature’s One strives to always make organic better, and in doing so, we actively seek the highest quality organic ingredients that meet both consumer needs and our demand to continuously improve our formulas
- NEW FLAT BLEND: Formulas now contain organic canola oil as a fat source in the products' fat blend
- MANUFACTURED: Baby's Only Organic Toddler Formula is made in the U.S.A.
2. Earth’s Best Organic Infant Formula with Iron
– Formula with most promising reviews
You’ve probably seen this brand all over the shelves in the formula aisle of Target, but it’s possible you simply passed it by.
This formula claims to be the closest to breast milk, has no added corn syrups, and is GMO free. It also includes lutein for eye development, and prebiotics to boost immunity.
- Available in 4 flavors (dairy, non-dha, sensitivity, and soy)
- Includes prebitoics
- Iron fortified
- Easy to digest
- No added corn syrup solids
- Closely formulated after breast milk
You can see why parents love this formula simply by looking at a handful of reviews. A main result that several parents loved is the formula’s ability to work well with sensitivities.
Several mothers had a great experience when it came to their colicky children. Not only did the formula help ease colic, but it also prevented it from reoccurring; an issue no parent wants to face.
- Certified organic
- Great for sensitive tummies
- Less expensive than other organic formulas
- Dissolves easily
- Babies seem to enjoy the taste
- variety of flavors for all babies
- Can cause gas in sensitive tummies
- Does include palm oil
Where to Buy
If you would like to give this particular formula a try, you have a couple options on where to buy it. Target is a good place to purchase it because Earth’s Best often has discounts on cartwheel, but the best place to purchase it is Amazon. They offer the best price, and a subscription service to ensure you always have it in stock.
- One 21 oz container of Earth's Best Organic Dairy Infant Powder Formula with Iron, Omega-3 DHA and Omega-6 ARA
- Fortified with iron and contains lutein, prebiotic fiber, Omega-3 DHA, and Omega-6 DHA to support healthy development
- For baby's first 12 months
- Recipe crafted with USDA-Certified Organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Nourishes your little one without any artificial colors or flavors
3. Happy Baby Organic Infant Formula
– Best Organic Baby Formula Based on Reviews
Some might argue that this is the best organic baby formula out there.
The makers of this formula wanted to provide parents with a healthy and safe formula option. Their main goal in creating this formula was to show support of all women during the feeding journey, because they understood breastfeeding isn’t always an option.
It has the best organic baby formula reviews online, and it’s composed of all organic ingredients. It even includes vitamins and minerals found in breast milk.
- Certified organic
- No corn syrup solids
- Includes DHA and ARA for eye development
- Prebiotics modeled after breast milk
- Filled with vitamins and minerals
- Gluten free
- Lactose based
- Easy to digest for little tummies
- No BPA in packaging
One aspect that parents simply rave about is the ease at which their children took the formula.
Many of the babies had no issue transitioning from breast milk to Happy Baby, which takes a lot of stress off of mama!
Most parents also mentioned the formula’s ability to eliminate or prevent gas. It appears that this formula works great for children with various sensitivities.
- Easy to mix
- Lid includes slot for scooper
- Completely organic
- No “formula smell”
- Less expensive than some other organic options
- BPA free packaging
- Available in 2 stages for growing baby
- Packaging may be difficult to open
- Container is large and bulky
- Does include palm oil (an ingredient many parents want to avoid)
Where to Buy
Target and Amazon offer the best retail price on this formula. However, if you’re searching for a more convenient way to shop, then Amazon is a great alternative. You can choose from a subscription option, and stage one and two of the formula.
- Modeled After Breast Milk & made with carefully sourced premium ingredients, this formula is made with organic lactose the principal carbohydrate found in breast milk. Our formula provides key vitamins and minerals that are found naturally in breast milk
- With 4X More Prebiotics than most other organic infant formula, our formula delivers 2 prebiotics, GOS & FOS, Fibers that mimic the function of prebiotics found naturally in breast milk, which promote healthy gut bacteria in infants. No corn syrup solids. No carrageenan
- Happy Baby: We provide organic, delicious options for your baby's nutritional journey; Happy Baby offers baby food pouches, organic cereals, teething wafers, baby snacks and more made for your little one
- Happy Family Organics: We are on a mission to change the trajectory of children's health through nutrition; We provide age and stage appropriate premium organic food products for baby, tot, kid, and mama
- Our Happy Promise: All products are certified USDA organic, made with non-GMO ingredients grown without the use of toxic persistent pesticides and in packaging made without BPA, BPS, or phthalates
Always prepare formula as per the directions on the can. These do vary between brands. Never guess or estimate the quantity. Always use a level measures.
The easiest way to do this is to remove the excess with the back of a knife blade. Let the boiled water cool for a while in the bottle before adding the formula. If the water is too hot it can kill off some of the vitamins and minerals.
Always refrigerate immediately after bottles are made.
Formula for Preemies
There are many brands of formula on the market and these may vary in composition of ingredients from brand to brand. Several brands also have different varieties.
The powder base for the formula can vary in the percentage of whey and casein it contains, or can be made from soya milk which is lactose-free.
Some brands of formula also have varieties with reduced iron which can be suitable for full-term babies, but not for premature babies.
Many brands also have follow-on formula for older babies. These again have a different composition of ingredients and are designed as a natural progression from the formula suitable for newborns.
It is worth investigating the availability, price and type best suited for your budget and your children.
If you need guidance, your family doctor, early childhood nurse or pharmacist can assist you to choose a suitable formula.
It is inadvisable to switch brands once you have chosen one, unless the particular formula is causing problems and are advised to change by a health professional.
When it comes to choosing the right formula, you want something you know is safe for your growing child. Thankfully, you have plenty of choices when it comes to finding the best organic baby formula.
Why Choose Organic?
Even infant formula can be filled with potentially harmful ingredients.
By choosing an organic alternative you’re greatly reducing the possibility of your child consuming any of the following: GMOs, pesticides, artificial flavors, synthetic ingredients, and more.
Finding the best organic baby formula is important for your children, but it will also give you peace of mind because you’ll know that they are consuming the best possible option.
This video explains more on some of the horrifying ingredients that may be found in infant formula, and it may be enough to convince you to make the switch right now.
Isn’t Organic Formula Expensive?
There’s no denying that organic ingredients do cost more than non-organic. However, the variation in price is so minimal when it comes to formula.
The few extra cents per ounce is going to be well worth it because you’ll know that your child is only consuming safe, natural ingredients.
In fact, formula is one of the recommended baby products that you should spend a little extra on, to ensure your little ones are only consuming the best.
How Can I Tell if a Formula is Actually Organic?
When searching for an organic formula, be wary of products claiming to be “all natural.” This doesn’t mean they’re organic. Look for a stamp somewhere on the packing with the phrase “certified organic.”
Here’s a quick look into all of those confusing labels, and what exactly they mean.
What Criteria is Needed for Formula to be Considered Organic?
You probably picture someone with a tiny farm in his backyard when you hear the term organic. While that may not be exactly the case, it’s pretty close.
In order for formula to be considered organic, the materials had to have been created, and grown, with proper [unaltered] agriculture techniques.
This means no pesticides, herbicides, or any other unnatural alteration.
Finding a solution to feeding your baby can be very overwhelming, and let’s face it, feeding three babies tends to make it even more worrisome.
With so many products to choose from when it comes to formula, it’s easy for any mom to feel uncertain. Thankfully, a few wonderful brands out there understood that feeling, and created formulas moms could feel good about.
Whether you’re transitioning to formula, or simply looking to expand on your babies’ nourishment, you can definitely find the best organic baby formula for your little ones.