Stairs can be an elegant touch to any home, but they quickly lose their appeal when you have three little ones determined to crawl all over them. Thankfully, there are baby gates designed to specifically keep this from happening. We’ve compiled a list of the best baby gates for stairs with banisters, so you can easily find the perfect option for your home and triplets.
The Best Baby Gates for Stairs with Banisters
1. Retract-A-Gate Safety Gate
Designed for larger openings and convenience, this baby gate is a top contender for those of you with staircases. Its mesh material makes it unlike any other, and it tucks neatly away when not in use!
- Scratch resistant mesh
- Quiet operation
- Childproof lock on top
- Certified by JPMA
- Hardware mounted
- Automatic retraction
- Retracts out of the way
- Reel stand can be easily removed from hardware
- Easy to operate
- Available in three neutral tones
- Easy to store when not needed
- Available in two different sizes
- Measures short
- Flexible material
- May require additional parts like spacers, banister attachment
- Retract-A-Gate is the original, 100% USA-made retractable safety gate that can be installed at any angle. Whether you decide to block off a hallway, a staircase, a patio, or something else, Retract-A-Gate’s see-through mesh allows you to always know what’s happening on the other side of the gate.
- Retract-A-Gate is certified for up to 200 pounds of push out force and for top and bottom stair use by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA). Wherever Retract-A-Gate is installed, it will keep your little ones safe.
- Retract-A-Gate has smooth, one-handed operation and is quiet when opening and closing. The gate extends out to 52” and the durable mesh is 34” tall. The mesh fabric is easily locked in place with Retract-A-Gate’s childproof lock. Retract-A-Gate is composed of environmentally friendly and safe materials—no toxic materials are ever used in the gate or the manufacturing process.
- Retract-A-Gate is certified for both indoor and outdoor use. It has been extensively tested in wet, rainy seasons and hot, dry summers. To top it all off, Retract-A-Gate has undergone exposure testing during a full northern winter with flawless results.
- To install Retract-A-Gate, use the included screws to mount the brackets to your wall or post at 3-4 inches and 30.5 inches from the floor. The brackets require a level surface that is 2.5 inches wide and 1.25 inches tall. Full installation instructions are found in the User’s Guide.
2. Regalo 192″ Play Yard
This might be the best baby gate for wide stairs, and it’s a perfect option when other gates seem to fail. It’s actually a play yard, but works incredibly as a baby gate! What parent doesn’t love a multi-purpose product?
- 8 removable and configurable panels
- Encloses 19 sq. feet
- Expands to 192”
- Walk through design
- Safety locking feature
- Made of durable steel
- 28” tall
- Play yard and Gate
- Folds down easily for storage
- Easy to set up
- You can add as many panels as you’d like
- Fits angled/wide stairwells
- Hardware mounted for sturdiness
- Will leave marks in wall if mounted
- Can be moved if pushed (panels may move a few inches)
- Joints/latch are said to be flimsy
You won’t be disappointed with the Regalo Play Yard. It’s possibly the best baby gate for bottom of stairs with banister, as it can cover a wide area and easily guards even the oddest shape of stairwells.
- SUPERWIDE: Fits opens up to 192 inches wide and stands 28 inches tall
- 2-IN-1: Can convert from a super-wide gate to an 8-panel play yard. No tools require, quick and easy. Includes 4 pack of wall mounts
- CONFIGURABLE: Each panel can be adjusted to fit almost any opening. Great for wide spaces, angled openings, hallway, doorway, bottom of stairs or barrier. Folds flat for storage.Wipes clean
- DURABLE AND CONVENIENT: The all steel design is durable and convenient with a walk-through door
- SAFETY: Designed with a walk-through door with safety locking feature. Wall mounted for added security and protection. Meets all current safety standards. For children up to 24 months and great for pets too
3. Dream Baby Chelsea Auto Close Security Gate
The Dream Baby baby gate is one of the top rated baby gates for stairs. Parents love that it’s simple and easy to use, and it will work wonders keeping your little ones from danger.
- Extra wide walk through
- Pressure mounted
- One hand operation
- Swing gate (swings in both directions)
- Extensions available
- Smart Stay Open Feature
- Double locking feature (top and bottom)
- 29 inches tall
- Approved for top of stairs
- Visually appealing
- Double lock for crafty children
- JPMA certified
- Easy to install
- No screws/holes needed
- Gate can stay open if needed for easier traffic
- Extensions need to be purchases separately.
This gate is easily one of the best baby gates for stairs with banisters. There really aren’t any cons to this particular option. It works great, it’s easy on the eyes, and it’s affordable!
- WALL-TO-WALL BABY GATE: Dreambaby auto-close baby and pet gate is a wonderful child-proofing solution; Suitable for doorways, at the top and bottom of your stairs, and in all of your hallways
- GREAT FOR CHILDREN AND PETS: The 28- to 35.5-inch frame is essential for providing a complete barrier for both toddlers and your furry family members.
- DURABLE DESIGN: Constructed with strong, high quality materials, making this gate a great child-proofing helper.
- SMART STAY-OPEN, AUTO-CLOSE - Doing laundry, entertaining guests or carrying in the groceries? With the convenience of the Smart Stay-Open feature, the Chelsea gate can be made to stay open to allow for seamless movement throughout the home. For all other times, it has a handy Auto-Close feature, ensuring that the gate reliably closes every time.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Intended for use around children aged 6 to 24 months; Color: Black; Dimensions (L x W x H): 28-35.5 x 1.5 x 29.5 inches
4. Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Gate
If you’re looking for the best baby gate for top of stairs with banisters, look no further! This gate specifically includes a hardware mount option so that it can be safely used at the top of the steps.
- 36 inches tall x 28-31 in width
- Pressure or hardware mount
- One hand walk thru
- Auto close
- Metal construction
- Dual locking
- Removable door stopper
- Designed for top of stairs to keep gate from swinging out over stairs
- Bronze finish looks elegant
- Extensions available
- Taller height makes it for little ones to climb over
- Reasonably priced
- Double locks
- Convenient gate for walk thru
- Gate must be lifted when unlocked in order to open gate
- This can also be a pro because it’s make it difficult for children to open if they do manage to unlatch the top.
- Gate door cannot stay open
This gate will look elegant on your stairwell, and it will keep your little ones from getting into any risky situations.
- ACCOMODATES MOST OPENINGS: The Summer Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate for Baby can be used between doorways and stairways. The 36” tall baby gate fits openings up 28.5” to 48” wide.
- EASY INSTALLATION: Easily install this baby gate on stairways with the included kit, or by using the no drill doorway mount for in-between doorways. Tools are required for hardware mounting.Surface-clean with a damp cloth or sponge, using mild detergent and warm water
- AUTO-CLOSE FEATURE: For added hands-free convenience, this safety gate is equipped with an auto-close feature that gently closes the door behind you and a hold-open feature that keeps the door open.
- SAFE AND SECURE: Have peace of mind knowing your baby or pet can explore safely with Summer’s Multi-Use Decorative Extra Tall Walk-Thru baby gate. Plus, the removable door stopper prevents the door from swinging open oven the stairs.
- STYLISH BABY GATE: This extra tall baby gate is metal with a bronze finish, so you can child proof your home in style. Standing 36” tall, it is ideal for use with toddlers and small pets.
5. Evenflo Top of Stair Gate Plus
Although it specifically says top of stair gate, it’s also the best baby gate for bottom of stairs with banister. It may not look like much in terms of appearance, but this baby gate certainly gets the job done.
- Wood material
- 32” tall
- 30-48” wide
- One hand release
- Hardware mounted
- Removable swing control (to keep from swinging over stairs)
- Dual direction swinging gate
- Sturdy material
- Can be operated with one hand (perfect for mamas!)
- Swinging gate for easy access
- Hardware mounted for extra security
- Has to compress to open/fold
This particular gate may not be very fancy, but it’s a reliable option to keep your little one away from the stairs.
- Top of stair wooden gate
- 32" tall.6 to 12 months
- Expands from 30" to 48" wide
- Hardware mounted
- Removable swing control
Do I Really Need a Baby Gate?
If you have stairs in your home, then you need a gate. Even if your little ones are supervised constantly, it only takes a split second for an accident to occur.
In fact, a child is emitted into the ER every hour due to stair-related injuries. Don’t let one of your children end up being a part of that statistic. Baby gates often take little to no time to install, and they can eliminate that danger for your household.
Things to Consider when Buying a Baby Gate
Your babies’ height
It probably seems like they’re not too tall yet, but their height is going to play an important role in your decision. You may need an extra tall option if your babies can reach higher.
Holes in the wall
Many gates have to be screwed into the wall, so consider whether or not a few screw holes are something you’re okay with.
Hardware vs. Pressure mounted
Baby gates are either hardware or pressure mounted. Pressure mounted leaves no holes in the wall, but it’s recommended that hardware versions be used for tops of stairs.
Do you frequently go in and out of the area that is to be blocked off? If so, you may want to consider a baby gate with a swinging door. This will save you the struggle of moving the baby gate every time you need to go up or down the stairs.
Practicality vs. visually appealing
All baby gates offer a sense of security, but you’ll see that there are gates on wide ends of the spectrum. You’ll need to decide whether you’d like a functional gate with little appeal, or if you’d prefer one that’s also visually appealing.
Best to buy new
It’s best to buy a gate that’s new and has never been used, or you’ll have to do your research. Baby gates are susceptible to recalls, so purchasing a used one isn’t a great idea unless you take the time to make sure it’s still safely on the market.
For some more awesome insight into buying the right baby gate, and what to look for in each one, take a look here.
If you’re more of a visual person, or if you’ve come to terms with the fact that reading is a luxury for a mom of three, then take a look at this video for tips and tricks to setting up your baby gate.
The thought of your little ones exploring the stairs has probably filled you with dread on countless occasions. Thankfully, you now have some of the best baby gates for stairs with banisters to choose from when it comes to finding the right one. Your little ones can explore safely, and you can once again rest easy… for a moment anyway.